Monday, February 17, 2014

Fall hunting

 A hunting we will go.....


This was a nice 4 point buck Josh and I were watching and deciding to go after. This was on the extended archery hunt in November. I went out with Josh a couple different times. The deer are so hard to hunt here, because of the scrub oak. And you have to hike a lot to even get into them. We were excited to find this deer. We decided it would be better to have Josh hike in to it while I watched in the scope and binoculars to guide him in. Which was really hard because he was surrounded by does, so I knew it was going to be a lucky chance if he actually got a shot. I thought Josh was further back than he actually was and I told him to go the wrong way, which spooked the buck. I was bummed! Let's just say I'm not the best guide. By the time Josh was hiking out it was dark and I was by myself which was kind of freaking me out. I could hear coyotes all around me. I was nervous Josh wouldn't find his way in the dark, but he of course had no problem. Good thing he went and not me, because I would've gotten lost in the dark for sure!

 We had about a 5 mile hike back. The view was beautiful as we got down farther. 


I just love being outdoors especially when it's with my love! I'm so glad he likes me to go with him hunting. 

 This was at the top of the mountain. 

 This was what we were hiking through. Pretty thick brush and snow.



 Snack break!!
 The city was covered in smog. It's nice to be in the mountains above all that!

 Josh got a shot at a nice 3 x4, but couldn't ever find him. So sad.....

 Just practicing my bow skills in the basement. I shoot every other day as part of my workout. I've definitely gotten a lot better than when I first started.
 Me on the hike in one of the extended archery hunt days.



This was another time we went. It was a blizzard and freezing cold. After 5 hrs of fog and not being able to see more that 50 ft we decided to hike down and go home. 

His and hers!!

Blizzard!!


Scope cam pics

Josh got some pics of some really good deer out with a friend one day. They weren't able to get close enough or a good enough shot, but they had fun seeing them.








This guy was a famous buck called the cemetary buck. Josh saw and filmed him right before dark, but couldn't find him again. This buck ended up being shot 4 days before the hunt ended. Too bad Josh wasn't the lucky one!







Just some more pics of us on the extended archery hunt. It was freezing cold. I wanted to keep hiking, because if we stopped I was miserably cold. 

My hair was frozen!!





Archery Bull Elk hunt

Josh spent a month trying to kill a bull down in Southern Utah. He had a couple times he got real close, but was never able to get a shot. This was an incredibly hard area to hunt. Thick timber everywhere and it pretty much rained everyday of his hunt. Which made it even harder to find the elk and it messed up the rut season. And they had guys who were purposely trying to scare the bulls out each morning on horses. We later found out it was Mossback. They'd hired over 20 guys for this purpose only. Josh would be sneaking in on a bull and these guys would go busting through the trees to scare they bulls out. I just can't believe people are so cruel these days! I now have zero respect for Mossback and their company.  Josh still had fun and saw tons of huge bulls. Archery is a hard weapon to choose, because you have to be pretty close to make a shot and these animals are incredibly smart.
This was camp. It was pretty much a small pond by the time he left. The trailer was so stuck and then the truck got stuck. It took two more trucks to get them out!

Josh's friend he was hunting with was able to get a shot at this amazingly huge bull. He just happened to step out in front of him and he got a good shot. This bull scored 422 and was 9x11. Absolutely huge. It was a big deal, because Mossaback(a guiding company) was going after this bull and had a guy who had paid over 50,000 to get this bull. I'm so glad Alonzo got it instead of them. I wish it would've been Josh, but I'm happy for his friend. 












A cute little porcupine Josh found.

These were some of the elk they got on their trail cameras before the hunt started. They were so excited because they were getting some huge bulls on there.













This was an elk head Josh found! It was probably 5-10 years old(pretty white and faded).


Pheasant hunt

Josh got to go out a few times pheasant hunting and duck hunting. He loves hunting and even more loves his bird dog.








No comments: